Monday, June 11, 2012

A Higher Power for Atheists

I have had many experiences with atheists, mostly good. Everybody in A.A. has the right to his own opinion. It is much better to maintain an open and tolerant society than it is to suppress any small disturbances their opinions might occasion. Actually, I don't know of anybody who went off and died of alcoholism because of some atheist's opinions on the cosmos.

But I do always entreat these folks to look to a 'Higher Power' -namely, their own group. When they come in, most of their A.A. group is sober, and they are drunk. Therefore, the group is a 'Higher Power.' That's a good enough start, and most of them do progress from there. I know how they feel, because I was once that way myself.


LETTER, 1962
As Bill Sees It, p276

I went to a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous yesterday called, We Agnostics.  I was stunned.  Everyone there was so incredibly honest with their feelings about humanity, their Higher Power.  They questioned everything!  After the meeting, some of them stayed behind to talk and I felt very welcome there.    I saw my Higher Power working through them, regardless of what their ideals were. 

I did notice a flicker of intolerance within me when the meeting was not closed with the Serenity Prayer or the Lord's Prayer, but it seemed to be more of a discomfort of what I am accustomed to, rather than a harsh judgment.   And, it probably didn't hurt that I saw signs that said "Live and Let Live" all around the room.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for loving each of us in our own diversity.  We are all different, but we are all One in Your Spirit, Your Love and I am grateful because I think life would be kind of boring if we were all the same.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment