Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Unlovely Creature

"An alcoholic in his cups is an unlovely creature." Big Book, p16


I wish I had a then and now picture!  Oh wait, I do.  My driver's licenses.  


In my picture in 2002, I looked like a thug with uncombed hair that was wild and awful.  I look like I just woke up.  I was expressionless.  My face was ruddy from the effects of no sleep, drugs, smoking, gambling and alcohol.  I struggled with depression and mania.  I cried in fits of rage and yelled at my kids.  I was truly an unlovely creature!!


In my picture in 2008, I looked entirely transformed.  My hair was straightened, shiny and combed.  I was smiling (even after sitting at the DMV).  My skin was vibrant and glowing.  And one day at a time, my attitude gets better and better.


Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for the gift of living.  Thank You for removing my craving for alcohol and for showing me how close I really was to dying.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment