Sunday, May 13, 2012

Morning Thoughts

On awakening, let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead.  We ask God to direct our thinking, expecially asking that it be divorced from self-pity and from dishonest or self-seeking motives.  Free of these, we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for God gave us brains to use.  Our thought-life will be on a higher plane when our thinking begins to be cleared of wrong motives.  Big Book, p86

I am grateful to be alive and awake this morning.   When I look at the damage I have done to myself and others I realize how fortunate I am just to be here.  And I am here with purpose this morning.  My purpose is to help those who still suffer and to move out of the way so God can work through me.  It seems so simple, but it is not so easy.  It is important for me to realize that I can't always believe in my own thinking because most of my thoughts are still dishonest and self-seeking.  And it was my best thinking that got me here!  My ego is this cunning, baffling, powerful entity that makes me feel so high and mighty and superior.  Sometimes my egoic thoughts are so subtle I can barely see it.  Whenever I feel "all prayed up" and spiritually fit, I can be sure that my ego is already starting to run the show as I abandon my state of surrender.   I have to stop at each thought I see and say, "God, what would you have me do?".  Otherwise, I slip back into a state of ego-consciousness and I continue to hurt people.  And if my actions continue to harm others, I will seek out my addictions for comfort.  And if I do that, I die.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for this daily reprieve today.  Thank You for Your continued guidance.  Thank You for divine order in my life where I used to see chaos and drama.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment