Friday, May 18, 2012

Step Five

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.  Step Five, Alcoholics Anonymous

Questions from the Contents page in the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions:
Twelve steps deflate ego.  Step Five is difficult but necessary to sobriety and peace of mind.  Confession is an ancient discipline.  Without fearless admission of defects, few could stay sober.  What do we receive from Step Five?  Beginning of true kinship with man and God.  Lose sense of isolation, receive forgiveness and give it; learn humility; gain honesty and realism about ourselves.  Necessity for complete honesty.  Danger of rationalization.  How to choose the person in whom to confide.  Results are tranquility and consciousness of God.  Oneness with God and man prepares us for following Steps. 


Reading Assignment:
Step Five - Chapter 6  - Into Action
Step Five - Page 55-62 in the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions


A few questions for focus:
Have I been living alone with any of my secrets?
How do I feel about admitting my wrongs to God, myself and another human being?
Am I ready to give up my secrets?
What qualities am I looking for in someone with whom I would do my 5th Step?
Who do I trust to listen to my 4th Step work?


***This is not meant to substitute getting a sponsor***
***This is not meant to be a comprehensive Step***
***This is meant to be food for thought for me and if it helps you, then, "Thank You God"***

No comments:

Post a Comment