Sunday, May 6, 2012

These Are Facts Out Of Our Experience

If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. We are not theorizing. These are facts out of our experience. Big Book, p70

This is part of my Tenth Step Inventory each evening.  I know that if I continue to physically harm others, harm others with gossip, which is murder by character assassination (12x12), or any form that harm might take, I put myself at risk for another drink.  I have noticed that when I drink I do not see consequences at all.  Now that I have been abstinent for a while, I see consequences that I never saw before.  This includes this link between harming others and drinking.  I know if I harm another, I am harming myself.  The guilt and shame prove that!  I did not recognize that the next step, which would relieve the guilt and shame temporarily, is to drink again.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for helping me see consequences.  Thank You for showing me how I am connected to the rest of my Fellows.  Thank You for your help in not allowing me to harm another person today.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment