Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Best Reason First

The best reason first:  If we skip this vital step, we may not overcome drinking.  Time after time newcomers have tried to keep to themselves certain facts about their lives.  Trying to avoid this humbling experience, they have turned to easier methods. Almost invariably they got drunk.  Big Book p72

I needed the acceptance of my sponsor more than I ever knew.  When I spilled everything that I could remember at the point I wrote my first fourth step, all I could think of was, "there is no way in hell that anybody is going to like me after I tell them this!"  What I found out was, I was accepted for exactly who I am, exactly as I am and with no judgment.  There were some questions that followed about some things I might become willing to change in steps 6 and 7 that followed, but for the most part, it was the most unconditional loving acceptance of me, with all of my defects of characted.  Now that's a message I want to carry!

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for showing me a glimpse of what love can really be like.  Thank you for shedding your light on my own harsh judgments of others.  Thank you for giving me the courage to hear another person's fifth step too.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment