Friday, February 17, 2012

Self-Knowledge


But the actual or potential alcoholic with hardly an exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. Big Book p39

This hit me as I read it again today.  When I was drinking, I was on a never-ending spiral.  If I drank, I couldn't get my head straight enough to apply any Principles with any clarity.  And if I couldn't apply any Principles with any clarity, I couldn't stay away from my first drink, which nearly always led to blackout, dangerous behavior or my favorite, hanging out with my friend the porcelain god.  I needed help and I am so thankful to my Higher Power and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.  I needed all of the tools to stay sober. 

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for being the solution to this malady.  Thank you for showing me that I didn't have to keep trying to do this alone.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment