Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spiritual Experience


"Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them." Big Book p27
My own spiritual experience was not like Bill W.'s.  I didn't see a flash of light.  I didn't get inspired to write a Big Book or even my own story for that matter.  Mine has been little-by-little, day-by-day.  It is in applying the steps in all my affairs that I seem to be making a consistent, steady, baby-step type progress.  How amazing it is to me that Bill W. was spiritually infused at just four years of sobriety to write such a book as the Big Book of AA.  It astounds me and I am grateful.  And I know that my step-by-step, steady progress is just as important.  And not just important for me.  A person who did not have Bill's experience may think they are odd or that God didn't like them enough to given them such an experience.  I know that this is a possibility because I felt that way at first.  Comparing myself to anyone didn't seem to help.  But practicing the principles do help and ever slowly and ever subtly, a change is occurring inside of me. 

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for Divine Guidance in all of my affairs.  Thank you for bringing me to this program of Alcoholics Anonymous and for showing me a new way of life that I never dreamed possible.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment