Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Inventory

"Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four."  Big Book p63
When it comes to resentments, I was taught that I needed to take someone (something if it is principle/institution) else's inventory to move everything out of the way to get to my 'side of the street'.  I write down who angered me.  I write down what I was offended by and what it affected inside of me.  Did it affect my relationships, my self-esteem, my finances, etc.?  It is so important to get to the cause within myself that creates this 'reaction' of resentment.    When I dig deep enough, I always find fear and selfish-self-centeredness.  There is always something I am 'attached' to and often it is results that I am expecting because of this deep rooted selfishness that my ego strives so incredibly hard to protect. 

Thank you Higher Power for showing me a way out of resentment and into love.  Thank you for the willingness to forgive myself, so that I may have beautiful relationships.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment