Thursday, January 12, 2012

Serenity Prayer

...Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen. --Reinhold Niebuhr


When we read the beginning of this prayer in meetings, I often forget there is more to it.  I seek solace, comfort and care in the words as we hold hands at the end of a meeting.  However, I forget my responsibility that follows and these are simple tasks, but not easy ones!  Accepting hardships as a pathway to peace?  Taking the sinful world as it is and not how I want it to look?  Surrender to His Will?  May I not forget that there is footwork I must do to maintain my abstinence, and day-by-day, grow just a tiny bit wiser.

Higher Power,
Thank you for always making things right.  Thank you for turning my messes into Divine messages!  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment