Sunday, January 15, 2012

Money

Although financial recovery is on the way for many of us, we find we cannot place money first.  For us, material well-being always follows spiritual progress; it never precedes.  Big Book - Page 127, As Bill Sees It - Page 177
I have always struggled with money.  What is reasonable spending anyway?  When am I being too miserly?  When am I spending too much?  In the West, where money is God to a great many people, I have found opportunity to learn this and experience it by seeking people who are/were examples of this passage in the book and emulating them in some way.  There are so many people who have walked away from riches to set an example of human awakening and compassion.   A beautiful example can be found in Bill's story in Tradition Two, when he chose the group conscience over a job he felt he desperately needed to pay the bills (we might not be in this beautiful program if he made another choice!).   One of Bill's quotes, also found in Tradition Two is, "Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best". 

Thank you God.  Thank you for removing the chains of self-bondage.  Thank you for removing any obsession of money or financial insecurity.  May I stay in a place where I seek you first and do not worry over what will be added, knowing that my needs for this day are met.  One Day at a Time.  Thank you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment