Friday, January 13, 2012

Any Lengths


Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it — then you are ready to take certain steps. - Big Book, Page 62
I love this caption from the Big Book.  It says two things to me.  One, it tells me how to share my story.  We disclose in a "general way" what it used to be like.  For me, this means not going into details of my 4th step or my addiction horror stories in my sharing.  It took what it took for me to get here.  I earned my seat, simply because the only requirement is a desire to stop.  What seems important is what happened when I came into the room and what I am like today.  What we used to be like helps the newcomer identify.  What happened lets the newcomer know how it works.  And what I am like now, hopefully, gives the newcomer some hope. 

Two, It tells me I still have to be willing to go to any length to get it, from day one to day 20,000.  I pray that I always stay just humble enough to want to go to any lengths to stay clean from my addiction(s). And I know a continuous working of the 12 steps is required to maintain this condition.

Thank you God.  Thank you for always guiding me to the right people, the right meetings and the right opportunities to practice the steps in all my affairs.  Thank you for turning my willingness into enough to stay clean.  Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment