Thursday, January 5, 2012

Be The Example

It doesn't do me any good for you to tell me I need to get some self-esteem or self-acceptance or I need to turn it over... It's like telling me I need to speak French.... Teach me, show me through your example how to get to a place of forgiveness."  - Mariasha, Chapter Eight Introduction - A Sponsorship Guide for 12-Step Programs

I recall feeling / thinking this way when I first got into the program.  I didn't like anyone telling me who to be or what to be.  I knew that I wanted something better.  I just didn't know how to get from there to here.  There were amazing examples to follow all over the program.  Men and women of all shapes, sizes, educations and each with their own strengths and weakness.  These were people who spoke in "I" form and shared their personal experience, strength and hope.  They gave me the 'identification' I needed to know I was right where I was supposed to be.

I am cautious today, not to fall into the pattern of thinking I know what is best for someone else because something worked for me, because that can be a trap too!  The best I can do is share my own story, one person to another. 

Higher Power,
Thank you for showing me this wonderful world of brilliant examples.  I did not know how disfunctional I was until I stepped into a recovery room.  I didn't know that this world was available to me.  Thank you for allowing me to pay it forward, just by simply being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment