Saturday, January 14, 2012

About Sex

If sex is very troublesome, we throw ourselves the harder into helping others.  We think of their needs and work for them.  This takes us out of ourselves. - Big Book, Page 70

The Big Book talks about how many of us could write novels about our sexual escapades, but to keep our focus on recovery.  Often, you hear in a meeting room, "no relationships for a year" if you are not already in one.  And if the one you are in doesn't work out, they say the same thing.  When I came into the rooms, I was spiritually, emotionally, physically and financially bankrupt.  I recall trying to fill myself up with sex just as much as any other addiction.  It was a need for approval, and as a woman, I often exchanged sex for what I hoped would be love. I often put myself in precarious situations with strangers.  I wore a cloak of self-loathing, without the accessorie of self-esteem.  I gave myself completely to the program and immediately began service work.  I helped others and they helped me. 

Thank you God.  Thank you for the gift of recovery.  I woke up this morning and I looked in the mirror and said, "I love you", to the person staring back at me.  Thank you for this program filling me up with love, so that I don't have to seek it in dangerous places.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment