Saturday, February 18, 2012

Resentment

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness.  To the precise extent that we permit these, do we squander the hours that might have been worth while.  But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave.  We found that it is fatal.  For when harboring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit.  The insanity of alcohol returns and we drink again.  And with us, to drink is to die. Big Book p66

Resentments are our number 1 killer!  I have started a new practice of recognizing that each moment I have a resentment I am dead at that moment.  I have given some person, place or thing my life in exchange for misery, unhappiness and drama.  When I look at it that way, I am much less willing to hang onto a resentment, however justified.  As a result, I am learning about my own expectations (which are premeditated resentments) of people, places and things.  I am learning to go with more of a flow and allow others to be who they are.  Spiritual progress, but certainly not perfection!

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for this quiet place I can go to and release resentments to you.  Thank you for showing me that everyone is a mirror of my own disease and that others are not to blame for my reaction.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment