Friday, February 10, 2012

You May Have to Drop Him/Her

If he is not interested in your solution, if he expects you to act only as a banker for his financial difficulties or a nurse for his sprees you may have to drop him until he changes his mind.  This he may do after he gets hurt some more.  Big Book p95

This is one of the toughest things to do when working with others.  I was trudging right along in the program and someone asked me to sponsor them.  I had my usual agreement of, "call me every day for the first 30 days and we will see where we are at the end of that 30 days."  After 30 days of listening to this particular person, it occurred to me that something else was going on that I couldn't physically see.  I discovered the person wasn't taking their medications for juvenile diabetes and so was unable to grasp or apply anything I was saying.  I asked her to see the doctor and get in with a group that can provide support. I told her once she was taking her medications regularly, then we could begin working on the steps.  I didn't see her much after that.  Later on, I was asked to facilitate a Celebration of Life service for her.  I found out through others in the program that she did seek help, found a diabetese support group and after that got a new sponsor.  She died sober and had just celebrated a beautiful milestone just a few days before she passed.

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for showing me that my part is not to fix people.  Thank you for showing me that I am just an instrument of your Peace and that sometimes I am just there for the reason and not the season or a lifetime.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment