Thursday, February 9, 2012

How Much Anonymity?

As a rule, the average newcomer wanted his family to know immediately what he was trying to do.  He also wanted to tell others who had tried to help him - his doctor, his minister, and close friends.  As he gained confidence, he felt it right to explain his new way of life to his employer and business associates.  When opportunities to be helpful came along, he found he could talk easily about A.A. to almost anyone. As Bill Sees It, p43

This is what lets the community know we are here, but without any real promotion.  Sharing my recovery with loved ones, friends and even business associates has given me the opportunity to hand a few Big Books out to people, and to point a few others to Al-Anon, so that they could have support in dealing with alcoholics like me.  I love when the response is, "you? really?"  That's when I can say alcoholism doesn't discriminate and that I was never a bad person getting good.  I am a sick person getting well. 

Thank you Higher Power for bringing me to this book, these rooms and these fellows.  Thank you for giving me a glimpse of the Fellowship of the Spirit so that I may be of maximum use to you and others.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment