Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Normal" People


For most normal folks, drinking means conviviality, companionship and colorful imagination. It means release from care, boredom and worry. It is joyous intimacy with friends and a feeling that life is good. But not so with us in those last days of heavy drinking. Big Book p151

First it was fun, then it was fun with problems, then it was just problems!  Isn't that the truth?  I remember that ahhhh feeling when I drank and that feeling of invincibility.  The more I drank, the more everything looked more beautiful, funnier and inviting.  I didn't have a care in the world! 

When I got into the program, I felt so loved and accepted by other members that I found out that people didn't need to be liquored up to talk, to laugh and to just enjoy each other's company.  It was astounding to me!  It has been far beyond my expectations, this life without alcohol.  Care, boredom and worry have been replaced by faith.  And conviviality, companionship and a colorful imagination is something I get to enjoy at every meeting I attend. 
After a little sobriety, I realized I didn't know how to care in the world.  I didn't know how to be intimate.  I didn't know how NOT to worry.  Today I care.  Today I have close relationships without alcohol.  Just amazing!

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for showing me the way to relationships without alcohol.  Thank you for showing me the way to faith over worry.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment