Friday, March 23, 2012

Alcohol is a Subtle Foe


It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will. Big Book, p85

To rest on one's laurels, according to Dictionary.com, is to be content with one's past or present honors, achievements, etc.  When I think about what I can accomplish on my own, the first thing that comes to mind is, "My best thinking got me here".  It was my thinking that brought me to the rooms.  It was my thinking that brought me to the point of complete defeat.  When I accepted a Higher Power in my life, through Step 3, I found a loving, merciful presence who did not make the terms too hard for me.  I now wake up mornings where my first thought is, "Thy Will be Done".  I thank my Higher Power for another day to be of service.  And at the end of the day I thank my Higher Power again after reviewing how I did for the day (Step 10). 

Thank you Higher Power.  Thank you for this day.  May your will, not mine, be done in all of my affairs today.  Please remove anything that may stand in the way of my being of maximum use to you.  Thank you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment