Sunday, April 8, 2012

Alcoholic Death or Spiritual Basis?


To one who feels he is an atheist or agnostic such an experience seems impossible, but to continue as he is means disaster, especially if he is an alcoholic of the hopeless variety. To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face.  Big Book, p44

Whenever I stop going to meetings I end up at the crossroads again.  I have a choice. 

Do I want to gamble my recovery away by resting on my laurels and trying what I think is the easier, softer way?  Or do I want to walk the path of recovery? 

Do I want to live my life based on the Spiritual Principles outlined in the Big Book or do I want to die? 

Do I want to have real relationships?  Or do I want to continue to put those who love me through the hell of watching me destroy myself?

However I write the question it really boils down to living or dying because I am already dead when I'm drinking, even if my physical body hasn't completely given out yet. 

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for guiding me to the rooms.  Thank You for guiding me to these people who continually teach me how to live and live well.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment