Wednesday, April 11, 2012

We Had To Quit Playing God

This is the how and why of it. First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn't work. Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom. Big Book, p62

My sponsor told me two things that I held onto that I relate to this passage. 

The first was that Step 7 says that God removes our shortcomings.  We do not control the speed or degree to which our defects of character are removed.  What may not be of use in a particular event, may be useful in another.  If I move out of the way, God will use what I call assets and defects for the greater good of all.  My little mind just can't see such big things at the time.  I do notice in hindsight sometimes how things did work out.  And I usually stand there with my jaw hanging out in awe of how things are connected.   One day I won't seem so surprised.  Today, though, I think it is just amazing "How It Works".

The second was that I never need apologize for being a child of God.  This gave me the comfort I needed to understand that my thinking is flawed, but I don't have to beat myself up for it.  We are all in this together.   While I may not be able to perfect anything in this book, I can certainly practice the principles with more forgiveness and less judgment against myself.  This is a triumphant arch for me, which has released me from a certain bondage.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for the design for living that you have shown me through the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, the practice of my Fellows as example and Your neverending love.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment