Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Course Of Vigorous Action

Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four.
  Big Book, p63

Causes and conditions reveal themselves to me as fear and selfish self-centeredness.  When I write down my resentments, and fill out the columns as outlined in the Big Book, the underlying root always boils down to a reaction I am experiencing that comes from my fears and delusional thinking.  My ego feels threatened in some way and I react.  And that reaction may be defined as resentment, bitterness, anger and rancor. This is something I cannot afford.  If my actions continue to harm others, I will surely drink again.  I am grateful today to see my part.  I am grateful today that this is something that can be changed, one step at a time, one day at a time, by the grace of my Higher Power. 

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for revealing these defects of character to me.  Thank You for showing me there is a better way.  Thank You for helping me to not harm another person today.  Thank You for getting down to the roots and making me fit to be of service to others.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment