Friday, April 13, 2012

Work-Outs

The faith and sincerity of both you and your husband will be put to the test.  These work-outs should be regarded as part of your education, for thus you will be learning to live.  You will make mistakes, but if you are in earnest they will not drag you down.  Instead, you will captalize them.  A better way of life will emerge when they are overcome.  Big Book, p117

This is an important passage in the book to me.  I am an alcoholic and I am married to an alcoholic.
  We both live in earnest and although sometimes things in our relationship look like they are in shambles, they are really a transfiguration of our relationship.  We always emerge from these 'tests" much stronger, more united and more loving than we were before.  

Just as in our personal recovery, our relationship foundations often get torn down to rebuild.  When I am acting on what I think things "should be", I believe that is the same as building a relationship on quicksand.  I am learning, one day at a time, to trust the process of life, God, and know that even though things don't look like I think they should, God has a plan for me and my relationships.

Thank You Higher Power for the beauty of relationships.  Thank You for this time to get to know my spouse and remember we have been in each other all along.  Thank You for the showing me how to love.  Thank You for showing me the great depths of love that can be found within me when I practice the Traditions in my relationships.  Thank You.   

No comments:

Post a Comment