Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Daily Reprieve

"It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition." Big Book, p85

Yesterday, I sat in a room of Alcoholics Anonymous and the topic was "How do you stay spiritually fit?".   Most of my M-F days go something like this.  I wake up and I try to make my first thought, "Thy Will Be Done".  If it isn't my first thought, I examine what is coming before my Higher Power (rushing, anxiety, problems?).  I make a latte at home.  I read from several Daily Reflection type books.  I get ready for work.  I talk to my Higher Power on my way to work (or someone from the program if they call).  I write this blog and read some other recovery material when I first get to work.  I do a short breathing style meditation.  I go to a daily meeting after work.  I might meet with someone from the program after the meeting or  I might have dinner, go to a movie or spend time with family.  I get ready for bed.  I read a few more spiritual materials and I have a Big Book Quote for the Day that comes to me in email form.  I do my evening meditation.  I blow the candles out, turn on some ambient music, review the day (Step 10) and thank God for the day itself.   What I love most about these days is that they lack something.  They lack drama.  Praise God!  I am so content that my day seems to become the daily reprieve itself.  I have no desire for the old way of life and I have a strong desire to get to know my Higher Power and get to know Peace.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for bringing this continuity of peace into my life.  Thank You for teaching me to be receptive to it.  Thank You for being the Light on my shadows.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment