Monday, April 23, 2012

One Element

The feeling of having shared in a common peril is one element in the powerful cement which binds us.  But that in itself would never have held us together as we are now joined.  Big Book, p17

I haven't ever been on a sinking ship, but I can think of a situation that brings people together, but only temporarily.  I served on jury duty some years back and it was a very interesting case.  We spent a few days sequestered together and got to know each other pretty well.  The situation wasn't perilous to us, but it was certainly perilous to the defendant in the case and we took our roles seriously.  After much deliberation, we came to our conclusion.  Our spokesperson voiced our decision.  The judge excused us and I never saw those people again and I would not even recognize one of them today if I did.  The common solution held us together, but once the purpose was served, we disbanded and went our separate ways. 

Our common solution is what keeps us together in Alcoholics Anonymous.  Since this is a lifelong disease from which there is not 'cure', our purpose is infinite.  We are granted a daily reprieve based on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Maintenance includes giving this thing away to other alcoholics.  We have to hang together or die separately.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for giving me this beautiful purpose to attend to.  Thank You for allowing me to be a vessel of Thy Will, Thy Love and Thy Power.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment