Monday, April 9, 2012

Damn Little To Laugh About


"Yes, that's me," said the sick man, "the very image. You fellows know your stuff all right, but I don't see what good it'll do. You fellows are somebody. I was once, but I'm a nobody now. From what you tell me, I know more than ever I can't stop." At this both the visitors burst into a laugh. Said the future Fellow Anonymous: "Damn little to laugh about that I can see."  Big Book, p157

I came into the rooms with what I now know is the gift of desperation.  I thought there was no way in hell I could ever stop.  I got so mad at all of you for laughing at my first meeting.  I thought, "What a bunch of #$%@*$!.  I can't believe they are laughing.  This is serious.  I'm dying here."  Someone talked to me after my first meeting and told me that the laughter was evidence that if I stuck around, I could one day be happy too.  I was reminded that at this meeting there was quite a bit of sobriety and that was evidence that I could sober up.  When I stopped feeling sorry for myself for just a moment and listened to this man, I received the gift of hope.  And now, when I say "we are not a glum lot", that includes me too.

Thank You Higher Power.  Thank You for the gift of desperation.  Thank You for the gift of Hope.  And thank You for the gift of laughter.  Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment